Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Jacob's Orthopedic Follow-Up

This morning I dropped Grace off bright and early with her Auntie Jill and headed into Boston with Jacob for his follow-up with the Orthopedist.

When he got the cast off back on September 9th the doctor told us he would limp for approximately 3 months so not to expect him to stop limping until this appointment. Jacob only limped for about 4 weeks and then was back to jumping with both feet off the ground and running! I cringed every time he jumped or fell for the first few weeks, but he seems to be doing fine. He is doing well navigating on uneven surfaces and I don't notice any difference in the way he walks.

I was not shocked when the doctor remarked on how well he has recovered. I had a chance to take a look at the x-rays and you wouldn't believe the difference from the day of the break to now. There is so much new bone regrowth and it is making his leg good and strong so the doctor said I shouldn't be nervous at all. He actually said it would take a very serious fall (worse than the original fall) to break that leg again.

His right leg is still slightly shorter by 1-1.5 cm, but the doctor said they prefer to have it heal this way since the broken leg tends to grow faster once it starts healing and they want his legs to even out in the end.

Overall, they were very happy to see him up and running all over the place! He doesn't have to be seen again until next Summer and they will do another x-ray to make sure everything is starting to catch up.

I have been slacking lately on posts and pictures, but we are heading to Edaville Railroad this weekend for the annual Festival of Lights and since the railroad is up for sale for a cool $10 million this may very well be the last year we can take the kids. I remember going to the Festival of Lights when I was a kid and I am excited to take my own kids! Hopefully, I will have lots of pictures to post this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...