It is no secret in my house that I would love a slice of cheesecake/chocolate cake/brownie any time of day and I rarely pass on dessert. One thing I absolutely LOVE is a good cobbler. I love going apple picking in the Fall because it gives me a good excuse to make 6,783 pans of apple crisp. My husband, on the other hand, is a strict believer in "fruit and dessert don't go together". He will not touch any type of fruit pie, cobbler, etc. which doesn't bother me because then I can have more!
I was thinking back to my childhood recently and out of nowhere remembered a dessert my Mom used to make that I used to BEG her for all the time.
Some of you may have heard of this before, but I had to share the recipe for those of you who haven't discovered it yet. In many other parts of the country, this is lovingly referred to as "dump cake" which doesn't sound quite appetizing so I have no idea who came up with that. Yes, I realize this is unhealthy, processed, canned, etc., but it is also DELICIOUS. It definitely falls in the comfort food category right next to baked macaroni and cheese.
There are many other combinations you can make, but the cherry-pineapple is my favorite combo. It is an easy recipe to whip up and doesn't require much effort, but still tastes delicious! I've modified the recipe a bit from the original to fit my preferences so feel free to make it your own! ENJOY!
Duncan-Hines Cherry Pineapple Cobbler
1 pkg of Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter cake mix
1 can of cherry pie filling
1 15 oz can of crushed pineapple
1 stick of margarine or butter
1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Grease a 9x9 pan with nonstick cooking spray
3. Spread cherry pie filling on bottom of pan
4. Spread can of crushed pineapple with the juice on top of cherry pie filling
5. Sprinkle half of the dry cake mix on top, making an even layer
6. Randomly put slices of butter/margarine on top of dry cake mix
7. Sprinkle walnuts over top. Do not mix! Leave as is.
8. Bake 45-55 min until bubbly and golden on top
9. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Some other popular combos include blueberry pie filling and lemon cake mix and apple pie filling with spice cake mix.
8 hours ago