Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cabin Fever

Well, in case you didn't hear, Spring is officially on the way!

We are well into March now and the forecast for the next week has all 40's and 50's as highs which is good news in New England. Most of our storms have been rain (no more snow!!) and the snow has all melted.

I am eager to get the kids out of the house and out in the fresh air. Unfortunately, since I am high risk and have a cerclage, I am not going to be able to chase after two active toddlers at the park every week. When I found out I was pregnant with Grace, Jacob was only 8.5-9 months old and adjusted he was only 5-5.5 months old so needless to say he wasn't doing much. Even when I had her in July he was 16 months old (12.5 adjusted) and wasn't even walking yet never mind exploring parks and playgrounds.

This time around I have a very active (almost) 3 year old and a not-only-walking-but-already-sprinting 19 month old. You'd think they might run in the same direction at least once, but that never happens. Needless to say we spend lots of time going for walks in our double stroller. I was trying to think of ways to get out of the house with them once the weather gets warmer and had been contemplating buying a slide and maybe a kangaroo climber to keep them busy in the back yard. Most playground equipment in this area is catered to older children and the one park that does have a toddler equipment section is overrun by small children, their mothers and tourists on a daily basis. A casualty of living in "America's Hometown" in the Summer months, but I digress.

Ian and I had decided not to purchase a huge swing set mainly because they are such a pain to set up and move and we are not sure if this is our "forever" house yet. We purchased it fully intending for it to be a starter home, but who knows if we'll ever leave with the real estate market the way it is. We figured we'd give it a few years and if the kids are old enough to really enjoy a full swing set, and it doesn't look like we're going anywhere anytime soon, then we'll take the plunge.

A couple of months ago Ian was working on a job in Braintree doing a pretty time consuming renovation for this couple with small(er) children. Ian sent me a text message with a picture that said, "The homeowner is getting rid of this stuff and said if I want it I can have it...for free. What do you think?" The picture included all of the items below:







ALL OF THIS!!! I also want to add that all of it is in EXCELLENT condition. I could hardly contain my excitement and said YES!! Quick! Before they change their minds and decide to try and hock it on Craigslist. The homeowner was even generous enough to let Ian BORROW his truck overnight to haul it all down to our place since Ian would obviously not be able to fit all of that in the back of a Honda Civic.

Now I'll be able to fill the kiddie pool and water table in the morning and take the kids right out into the back yard for some fun without having to worry about chasing them through parks in two opposite directions or trying to supervise them on equipment that is far too big for them (and very dangerous for a high risk pregnant woman to maneuver). YAY!

P.S. Did I forget to mention that this homeowner's wife knows I'm pregnant and sent Ian home with Girl Scout cookies for me....for free?! I love these people! Maybe they want to adopt another child (meaning me)?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...