Sunday, April 3, 2011

Grace's Room - Final Plan

You may remember my post back in October about our plans to makeover Grace's room. Shortly after posting that, we realized we may be pregnant with baby #3 sooner than we had expected which was surprisingly good news considering my fertility struggles.

We decided to hold off on that makeover until we found out for sure just in case I got pregnant and found out it was a boy. Grace is currently in the bigger of the two rooms and we would need to swap rooms if the baby was a boy. Jacob's current room is simply too small for two kids. Well, it's a good thing we waited! Sure enough I got pregnant in November and here we are now at 21 weeks pregnant and it is a boy! The color palette and fabrics I had selected before were based off a line I had found at Target that had accessories in the same color. Well, Target no longer has any of that and the colors are very hard to match so we have decided to go in a different direction.

Grace's toddler bed has been assembled for about a month now, but we decided to wait until the room is finished and all set up to move her into it. With the swapping of the two rooms there is just too much junk cluttering up her room and we are afraid of what she will get into at night when we're all asleep!

The current plan is based again on a color palette. One of the newer trends in color is aqua and I fell in love with a few aqua/yellow nursery pictures I found while cruising the web looking for ideas. I decided to go with the aqua, but use pink as more of the main accent color and maybe throw in a few other bright colors to spruce it up a bit. I went WAY outside the box with this room. My entire house is pretty much all neutral colors, but if you are ever going to go bold a kid's room is the place to do it! I again avoided themes, licensed bedding, etc. and I am going more with something she can grow with. I was originally going to go with bird/butterfly decor, but so far all I can find that I really like is birds. There isn't much out there with butterflies.

Here are my ideas:

Paint Color: Benjamin Moore Bird's Egg (2051-60)



We were originally trying to decide between this and BM Robin's Nest (618), but the Robin's Nest was just too green for my taste. I prefer an aqua closer to the blue family that looks more like the color of a robin's egg. I saw a few pictures online of rooms that had used Robin's Nest and LOVED them, but it must be the lighting in our house because I bought both colors in sample sizes and painted them on the wall and the Robin's Nest was too green in Grace's room.

Furniture:
Ikea Hemnes 3 Drawer Dresser
Da Vinci Sleigh Toddler Bed in White
Target Do-Your-Room Medium Bookshelf





We only need to buy the dresser since Grace already has the toddler bed and bookshelf. Target no longer carries the bookshelf, but I was able to find a picture online in a Google image search. We were originally going to go with the Hemnes 8 drawer, but it is over 63" long and that dresser would swallow Grace's tiny room. I wanted a low dresser so we decided on the 3 drawer which is only 43". She doesn't need more than that space-wise right now anyway and at only $199 you can't beat the price. When Grace needs to update to twin bed furniture in the future we'll think long term.

Decor:

This is where I had to get creative. I am trying to find things that will grow with her and everything available right now seems to be birds or flowers. I have a couple of friends who have used birds and have seen some blogs where birdhouses were used for decor. I have decided to go that route, but purchase unfinished birdhouses and paint them myself! I couldn't find anything online that I liked enough to purchase so I figure I will buy them and paint them myself with whatever acrylic paint color I want! I am thinking maybe some pinks and yellows.

I am also hoping to incorporate some lanterns in one corner of the room to add a pop of color and possibly a wall decal of a flowering cherry blossom branch with birds. Once I do this and add a mirror above her dresser there will literally be no wall/floor space left! She has an oversized beanbag from PBK which I am considering re-covering in a coordinating color and I am running out of places to put it without tripping over something! I am also buying the same cheap stick lamp that I bought Jacob in blue in either pink or yellow for Grace. It was $14 on sale and works great. I also like the look of the silver stick and the bright shade.





As far as bedding goes I am just going to get some mismatched odds and ends since she will only be using this for a few years. I am thinking a hot pink chamois blanket for warmth and some cute sheets for her mattress will help tie the colors in the room together. Right now PBK has a new Penelope line out and the crib sheets they have match perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...