Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Eli's Birth Story

I have to say that of all three of my pregnancies and births, Eli's was the most uneventful. Considering Jacob's dramatic entrance to this world and Grace's nightmare pregnancy and delivery this was a very welcome change.

Cesarean section deliveries are typically boring and uneventful, but it was so different to experience a hospital visit that was SCHEDULED and went smoothly with no complications. Eli's birth story deserves its own post so that someday I can reflect on just how blessed we are to have brought a baby into this world with so few difficulties.

My c-section was scheduled for July 26, 2011 @ 7:30 AM. We received a call the night before telling us to report to the BirthPlace at our local hospital bright and early at 5:30 AM. I had gone in the day before for pre-admission testing which consisted of blood work and a consult with the Anesthesiologist.

Our alarm went off at 4:30 AM and we threw together a few last minute things and packed the car as we waited for my mother-in-law to arrive to watch the kids. She arrived promptly at 5 AM and we were off! We reported to the BirthPlace where I changed into a gown and a nurse got my IV started. Once that was in place it was all a waiting game. Luckily, my OB was scheduled in her office at 9 AM that morning so I knew there would be no major delays seeing as they had to ship her off to the office. At 7:20 AM they came down to wheel me into the OR. Every time I have had a pregnancy procedure done (2 cerclages and 3 c-sections) the anxiety and anticipation of the surgery always get the best of me so I was feeling pretty nervous. I said a quick prayer that everything would go smoothly and that we would be meeting our healthy baby boy very soon.

They took Ian to the holding area where he dressed in his scrubs and I was wheeled into the OR to receive my spinal. The Anesthesiologist who did my spinal also did the spinal for my cerclage in March and he remembered me so we chatted about our kids (we both have three year old boys) and it helped to ease my mind during the whole process. After the spinal was done, they laid me down on the table and got to work. By the time they let Ian in to the OR we were well into the surgery. It was 7:50 AM. From there it is all a blur. It felt like seconds and just as Ian and I were debating how big he would be (I guessed 7.12 and he guessed 7.13) I heard Eli's first whimpers. I looked at Ian in disbelief. Was that our baby?! I couldn't believe he was already out! Then the wails started. If there was ever any question about his lung maturity it was very evident that his lungs were more than mature. He proceeded to scream at the top of his lungs the whole 10 minutes they cleaned him up. We were very blessed to have a very easy and uneventful pregnancy and delivery. My OB said my incision, which she repaired at my last delivery, held up beautifully and there were absolutely no issues whatsoever!


Eli James was born at 8:02 AM on 7/26/11 weighing 6 lbs 12 oz and 19.25 inches long. We were shocked he was so small! Eli was exactly 37 weeks and Grace was born at 36w3d and weighed 7 lb 7 oz. Typically, girls are more mature at birth, but the boys tend to be larger so we expected him to weigh as much if not more than Grace did. Looking back, it should've been obvious he wouldn't be as big as Grace since I only gained 25 pounds with Eli and I gained 43 pounds with Grace. I did have some MAJOR swelling with Grace and none with Eli so I just figured the weight difference was fluid, but apparently we just had a peanut this time around.

I have had some major latch issues with Eli due to his incredibly strong suck, but fortunately I am doing great with the pumping and I only had to supplement him once with 2 oz of formula in the hospital. I do, unfortunately, have mastitis from the cracking and bleeding that resulted from his bad latch, but so far I only have swollen lymph nodes. I did have Mastitis with Jacob about a month after he was born that resulted in a temperature of 102.5 for 4 days and feeling like I was on death's door so I will take swollen lymph nodes over that any day! Hopefully, it doesn't progress any further and my body will fight it off before I need to go on any medication. I am hoping to transition back to breastfeeding and wean from the pump in the next couple of days.

Other than that and the first night at home where he was up every.single.hour it has been smooth sailing. Last night was Eli's first 5 hour stretch from 11 PM to 4 AM at only 6 days old so I am definitely not complaining!

Eli is the perfect compliment to our family and Jacob and Grace have taken to him very nicely. Grace even helped me feed him a bottle today and they constantly hug, kiss and ask for him. I am hoping this is a trend that continues! God has blessed our family with another healthy baby and for that we are extremely grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...