Thursday, August 18, 2011

Transitioning

The verdict is in.

Going from two kids to three kids has been a much easier transition (for me) than going from one kid to two kids.

Maybe it is because when I had Grace I essentially had two babies. Jacob was 16 months old, but due to his extreme prematurity he was only 12.5 months adjusted when she was born. He wasn't walking or talking. He wasn't feeding himself or dressing himself. Even simple tasks like walking to the car involved me having to carry two kids separately out to the car and load them in. If I wanted to run into the store for just a gallon of milk I had to carry them simultaneously or drag out the double stroller and get them both loaded and unloaded.

I am not sure if I ever shared this story on here or not, but the first day I was home alone with Jacob and Grace we had to be at Grace's 2 week Pediatrician appointment. I was feeling on top of the world when I managed to get both kids dressed, out the door and to the office with 15 minutes to spare. Unfortunately, things didn't go as smoothly when we left the office. At the time, I was driving my Ford Escape which had an automatic starter (thankfully!). I had started the car before loading the kids and had the AC going full blast since it was the first week of August and 85 degrees. I loaded Grace in her infant seat, shut the door and walked around to put Jacob in on his side. The door was locked. I tried my driver's side door. Locked. Panic started to sink in as I realized I just locked my 2 week old infant in my car in the blazing hot sun of August. I ran in to the office (hysterical and in tears) and the doctor called 911. To make a long story short, the town's entire emergency response unit showed up (two cops, a fire truck and an ambulance) and the firefighter tried to reassure me that since the AC was on and Grace was sleeping soundly that she would be fine. Truth is, I wasn't even worried about her. I knew SHE was going to be fine. I, on the other hand, was anticipating an arrival from child services. Luckily, they never showed.....

Ironically, the first day home alone this time, with THREE kids, we coincidentally had a Pediatrician appointment for Grace and Eli. Hoping not to have a repeat performance I planned on bringing reinforcements. Ian arranged his schedule so he could be home to help me on Wednesday afternoon. Well, guess who called at 2:40 to let me know he was still 45 minutes away when he was supposed to be home at 3?! I hadn't even started getting kids up from naps and dressed because I thought I would have help so of course I was pretty sure this day was going to be an epic fail as well. Surprisingly, I managed to get all three kids up, dressed, give them a snack and we were out the door by 3:30. I met Ian somewhere halfway and he jumped in and we were off. We arrived 10 minutes early!! SUCCESS!!

Needless to say, this time around we are off to a better start! It is much easier when you have two walking, talking toddlers who are able to fetch you a diaper or a burp cloth when you need it. It helps when they can semi-dress themselves and feed themselves (when they aren't flinging applesauce off their spoons at each other). It also helps when they still nap for up to three hours a day giving me a break and a midday nap of my own (as long as Eli isn't due to eat).

The real test will come September 6th when Jacob goes back to preschool and I have to get three kids up, dressed, fed and out the door by 8:30 AM every morning. Especially with Winter coming, I am not looking forward to having to bundle the kids up twice a day, three days a week, but you do what you have to do. Right?

And because all blog posts without pictures are boring I give you Baby Eli via my camera phone:


I have so many pictures to upload and so many blog posts to write. Jacob and Grace are at really great ages right now and I have so many things I want to get down on paper (or computer screen) before I forget so hopefully I will get some blogging done this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...