Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 1

Today was our first, full day home from the hospital.

Things aren't as bad as I expected them to be so that is good! I was a little concerned about picking him up and carrying him up/down the stairs. The last thing I want to do is drop the poor kid with the broken leg AND hurt myself. That would leave Ian in quite the predicament. For the time being, we have moved Grace in the pack and play into Jacob's room and Jacob is in Grace's crib. I was able to move the mattress up a few levels and the drop side on her crib makes it easier to lift him in and out without killing my back. He has to sleep sitting up so we have his Sesame Street fold out couch in the crib and he sleeps on that with piled pillows and rolled up blankets. He slept like a rock last night and I didn't hear a peep out of him until 8 o'clock this morning! He napped in there again this afternoon for 2.5 hours!

Jacob is turning into quite the couch potato already and as of this afternoon has already watched Toy Story, Toy Story 2, three episodes of Jack's Big Music Show and half of Monsters, Inc. Every time I try and shut the TV off and read stories or do puzzles with him he retaliates by sticking his fingers down his throat and gagging himself. If he throws up down that cast it won't be pretty so I have resorted to him watching TV all day long. Fortunately, the doctor said in a week I should be able to put him down on the floor and he will learn to get around with the cast and can resume playing with Gracie.

For now, I am taking advantage of him sitting still and cramming as many calories as I can in him. Whatever he will eat I am giving him! Hopefully, we can gain some of that catch-up weight they think he is burning off too fast by being so active. Seeing as he is immobile, now would be the time to do it.

When they first told me it was broken and would need to be in a cast for at least 6-8 weeks I felt bad that he was going to miss the end of Summer, but he has been so sweaty in this cast that he has been wearing only the cast and a diaper for 3 days. If this had happened in the Winter it probably wouldn't have worked out so well. Not to mention he can't wear any pants! We are also able to get out by pulling him in the wagon so at least we can get him out of the house for an hour every day. We also lucked out and our car seat (being one of the largest on the market) is big enough to accommodate his cast so we don't need to buy a new car seat! We are looking forward to getting out of the house this weekend.

Keeping Grace happy through all of this has been a real challenge. I never realized how much she relied on Jacob until now. She is not happy eating. She is not happy in the play room. She is definitely not happy watching Jacob sitting on his bean bag watching TV and ignoring her. Jacob has always been such a fabulous, independent player and I think this is mainly because he was the oldest and alone for the first 16 months of his life. I was able to clean my entire house top to bottom and he was happy playing by himself with his toys while I was off scrubbing. Grace has never been by herself until Jacob was in the hospital. She has always had Jacob to play with and is not adjusting well. Hopefully, at his appointment next week we will get the go ahead to let him attempt getting around on his own and we can put him back in the play room with Grace. Right now, she just crawls all over him.

Here are a few pictures from this weekend before the mishap. Ian and I keep playing the "if only we had..." game. We spent most of the weekend out of the house, out and about and had only been home about an hour when this happened. It is easy to say "if we had just stayed home that day" or "if only we had stayed out an hour longer", etc. I keep reminding Ian that this was bound to happen sooner or later with our hyperactive, little boy. I just thought it would be a broken arm from falling out of a tree when he was 10 not from a fall when he was 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...